Many individuals blame faulty metabolism for their inability to lose weight. The term is mentioned rather loosely with many speakers having no inkling about what it means. It is important to check a standard textbook or look up a dictionary to know the best Metabolism Definition, however. You will be pleased to learn that metabolism is defined as the collective chemical reactions that take place in the body to convert food into energy. True, the procedures are complicated and diverse but just knowing that the conversion of food to energy depends on metabolism is enough for laypersons who are not eager to research the topic.
What can be inferred from the classic metabolism definition?
You may be able to find several answers from the definition of metabolism. It would be wrong to blame metabolism solely for your inability to lose weight though. Remember that the process of metabolism may be able to gauge the quantity of energy needed by your body but being aware of this fact will not be helpful. You have to be determined enough to moderate your food consumption and exercise as required to maintain optimal weight.
Conversion of Food Into Energy
The available calories from the nutrients are combined with oxygen to release energy via the process of metabolism. Your body will have to remain energized irrespective of being active or at rest. You will have to breathe, digest food, circulate blood throughout the body, and maintain the hormones when you rest or sleep. The amount of calories that the body will utilize for such activities at rest is termed the basal metabolic rate (BMR). Calculating the basal metabolic rate can enable you to understand how many calories are being burnt by you as you remain passive.
While having adequate muscle mass is important for the perfect functioning of the body, the BMR also depends on the following factors:-
- Body Composition & Size– You are sure to burn more calories when you have a large structure or increased muscle mass.
- Age– You tend to lose muscle as you age. The process of burning calories slows down at rest causing you to gain weight.
- Gender– Men have larger frames and more muscle mass in comparison to women. This results in a rapid burning of calories for men than women.
Tips for Burning More Calories
The basal metabolic rate cannot be controlled by you. However, you may indulge in physical activities to burn more calories and maintain the right body weight. Some of the activities recommended by experts include the following:
- Aerobics– Being engaged in moderate physical activity for half an hour each day will enable you to achieve your fitness goals. The activity level may be increased along with the time when you are eager to lose weight or meet specific goals.
- Strength training– Engaging in strength training by addressing all muscle groups can be effective for ensuring fitness. There are a host of activities to include in your regimen. Select wisely for the best results.
Being aware of the Metabolism Definition will not be enough. You have to use your BMR wisely to prevent diseases and maintain fitness.